|downloads | documentation | faq | HowTo | reporting bugs | links | Recent Changes|
What is a Wiki?
If you don't know how to use a wiki see the WikiHowto
ErfurtWiki is maintained by a loosely knit group of developers.
Please submit website bugs in the BugReports
Please file any wishes on UserSuggestions.
Any user can freely contribute to the Knoppmyth community. If you'd like to contribute, start by clicking on EditThisPage at the bottom of any page (also see the sidebar to the left).
What is KnoppMyth?
Knoppmyth is a linux equivalent of the Microsoft Media Centre Operating System. Knoppmyth comes as a CD-ROM software distribution which will automate the setup of the popular MythTv package.
Ultimately Knoppmyth is used to create a HTPC (home theatre PC). These HTPCs are commonly plugged into televisions rather than monitors for a true Home Theatre experience. HTPCs bring the power of the PC to the lounge.
Where did Knoppmyth come from?
Strictly speaking Knoppmyth is an adaptation of the Knoppix linux distribution which is dedicated to, and built specifically around, MythTv. Knoppix itself is an adaptation of the Debian linux distribution, Knoppmyth therefore is another project that has spiralled off into its own domain.
None of this would be possible without the whole philosophy of Linux which states that all programming code must be 'open-source'. This enables a worldwide programming community to add to, amend, adapt and forever improve Linux based software. Knowledge is pooled.
MythTV (and KnoppMyth) provides home theatre functions such as the ability to:
These features come from the various plugins that have been made for mythtv (mythplugins).
What Do You Need To Use Knoppmyth
To create a Knoppmyth HTPC, you will need to have a PC, with compatible hardware, and a KnoppMyth CD-ROM.
We have recently launched a public pre-release labelled R5A30 (with Mythtv 0.18.1). It is always advised to read the installation procedures, search this wiki and to search the forum as you will undoubtedly require various tweaks depending on your preferences and system setup.
Places to Start
If you are new to Linux then you will need to get to grips with the basics first of all. Read this first before you are scared away by how daunting Linux first appears LinuxTips.
Also have a look at the WikiHowto to get started.
The purpose of any wiki is to allow users to contribute what they have learned. You can freely edit all pages by using the controls at the bottom of each page. This site runs ErfurtWiki (which is a so called WikiWikiWeb engine). So, have fun and post any information you feel is relevant, but please be polite. Since Knoppmyth has included many releases, please include the version where relevant, such as R5A12DvdRipping. Also, if you follow the instructions on a particular page with your own setup, make a note if the instructions did/did not work and under what conditions.
<rewritten by Nick Parkinson whilst bored and unemployed on the 25/10/2005 -- UK date format that is>
Please do not write things, which may make other people angry.
UpdatedPages· HDTVSetupHowTo last changed on Wed Mar 1 10:53:21 2006
· SlaveBackendHowTo last changed on Fri Feb 24 18:11:19 2006
· WhatCardYouUse last changed on Fri Feb 24 11:40:17 2006
· PVR500DualTuner last changed on Wed Feb 22 17:25:07 2006
· MythTVBurn_Scripts_HowTo last changed on Mon Feb 20 20:49:52 2006
· CompileIvtv last changed on Sun Feb 19 10:44:03 2006
· BackupEntireServerToDvd last changed on Sat Feb 18 22:45:24 2006
· BTTV BTAudio last changed on Sat Feb 18 17:03:27 2006
· ConnectingToMythViaExternalInputs last changed on Fri Feb 17 01:27:07 2006
· CPUs last changed on Thu Feb 16 12:55:45 2006
· MythBackendNotRunning last changed on Thu Feb 16 00:02:29 2006
· HauppaugeOneFiftyInstallation last changed on Wed Feb 15 19:38:36 2006
· HowTo last changed on Tue Feb 14 11:40:21 2006
· NZMythConfig last changed on Mon Feb 13 22:37:58 2006
· DigitalAudioHowTo last changed on Mon Feb 13 08:09:53 2006
· KnoppMythUpgradeWithLVM last changed on Sun Feb 12 18:35:47 2006
· MythMusicRemoteHowTo last changed on Sun Feb 12 17:11:38 2006
· CompileMythTVFromSVN last changed on Sun Feb 12 16:05:50 2006
· KnoppMythInstall last changed on Tue Feb 7 16:37:38 2006
· UserSuggestions last changed on Tue Feb 7 10:23:51 2006
· BlackScreenAfterInstall last changed on Mon Feb 6 20:13:25 2006
· FrMythConfig last changed on Sun Feb 5 16:32:52 2006
· KnoppixMyth last changed on Sun Feb 5 15:43:39 2006
· CountrySpecific last changed on Sun Feb 5 15:21:44 2006
· HauppaugeThreeFiftyInstallation last changed on Sun Feb 5 10:28:02 2006
· LinuxTips last changed on Sat Feb 4 14:02:28 2006
Copyright © 1973 The SCO Group - give us all your money!!